Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Who's Your Father?

My Padre Saint Pio post seems to have attracted the attention of some evangelical Protestant types who want to argue me out of my cradle Catholicism by insisting that I may not admire any mortal men, or call them father. One commentor even went so far as to wonder whether this practice was idolatry. This, of course, is completely untrue: Idolatry is what we do with relics and statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary, not mortal men.


(Had you going there didn't I? Just a little ecumenical humor there, folks. Don't get upset)

To clarify: No, there is nothing in the Scriptures that says we can not call humans who did not procreate with our mother "father". As Envoy, a top Catholic apologetics site, notes, Jesus, St. Paul, and St. James all referred to Abraham as "father". St. John twice refers to Church leaders in letters as "fathers", and St. Paul refers to himself as "father" in I Corinthians: " 'I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.'"

As for me, I'll continue regarding Padre Pio as my spiritual father, that is, when I am not busy snapping mackerel and worshipping the pope.