Saturday, September 17, 2005

God's Justice

Our priest said in last week's homily that God is merciful, sure, but He is also just and though He dispenses mercy, He also demands justice. The priest's words gave me anxiety because I know that if God demands justice from me, I will most likely go to Hell.

The Magnificat this week features a meditation on Sunday's Gospel reading by Father Cantalamessa, preacher to the papal household, that describes God's justice by citing none other than Luther citing St. Augustine, who said, "Just as the salvation of the Lord means the salvation by which he saves us, so 'God's justice' means the justice by which, through his mercy, we become just."

Much to my relief, Fr. Cantalamessa in his essay reminds the reader that "now God's benevolence has been manifested to men, that is, his good will towards man, his forgiveness; in a word, his grace."