Friday, August 05, 2005

Reading with your tongue

A blind man more than anything wanted to read the Bible. He learned Braille. Then he was struck with leperosy. The tips of his fingers became numb, and he could no longer use them to read. So, he learned to read Braille with his tongue.

To me that's somebody who is Christ-haunted.

This blog is named after one of Flannery O'Connor's most famous sayings. I'm currently reading the book of her letters, Habit of Being. I think what she says about the South is true for the entire country, if not the world. Our world is anything but Christ-centered. Humans are caught in the pursuit of tangibles, of the things that satisfy our flesh, while man aches to be back with our source. To commune with the Lord. As St. Augustine said, "Our hearts are restless until they rest in you."

My heart is certainly restless and my spirit is homesick for the Lord.