Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Bad Idea, Pat. Bad, Bad, BAD Idea.

How many times have I had to explain to skeptics that fundamentalist Christianity does not = Islamofascism. If nothing else, I told my liberal/agnostic/atheist/friends, you will never hear Christian leaders declare a fatwa on somebody, and if they did, well, they'd be summarily denounced. Why? Because Jesus taught us two great commandments. The first is to love God with all your heart, mind, and strength. The second is to love your neighbor. Christ also told us to love our enemies. He never told us to kill people we don't like.

Now, Pat Robertson proves me a liar by saying it's time to assassinate the president of Venezuela.

Apparently, Hugo Chavez has become an "inconvenience" to Pastor Robertson. To be fair, Chavez has been a pain, accusing the U.S. of plotting his assassination. Why he thinks we would do this, I don't know. To get at his oil, maybe. Venezuela is a top oil producer and Chavez doesn't like President Bush too much.

Saith Prophet Pat:

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

Great. Now for the next 10 years, I'll have to defend my faith against those who think:
a.) There is no distinction between Catholics and evangelicals.
and
b.) That Pat Robertson speaks for all of us Christians.
and
c.)That Christian moral theology is tied directly to the price of oil.

Thanks a lot, Pat.